Monday, November 03, 2008

Automated Nerf Turret

I did a project on surveillance using a Nerf gun. I took the Nerf Vulcan and affixed a servo motor to the tripod base. Then using OpenCV in OpenFrameWorks I got the gun to track a single person in the room. The installation has the picture of the person projected behind the gun. Video documentation should be up soon. I need to rapid prototype a base for the servo since it is being held by three pieces of plywood and two C-clamps. The base will be attached to a tripod to make the art piece more mobile and the solve the problem of the servo wanting to turn because it weights less than the Nerf gun. I bought the servo's here. I used an Arduino Mini to run the sevro and an Xbee to transmit the data. I ran into several problems with the serial data. The Arduino was reading the data from the serial port too quickly and I had to send a header to make sure the data was received correctly. The OF Application had issues as well because the serial read is only read 60fps. I would only have the application send data when the Arduino wanted it (which as practically constantly because the OF serial is slow. The Arduino code for reading the serial will be posted soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home