Monday, November 03, 2008

XBee RSSI and Thesis Updates

Playing with the RSSI strength on my XBee's I have noticed they are not very accurate at close range. Thursday I will set up an experiment in my apothecary to see if it can detect the distance well. The closer the element is to the apothecary the more pronounced I would like its behaviors to be. Since the XBee signal strength is not accurate enough I need a different way to detect whether the elements are over the apothecary or not. By pulsing IR LEDs I will be able to detect which elements are upside down over the apothecary. With multiple IR receivers I should be able to triangulate a rough location over the screen itself. I should have an OF L-systems program running by Thursday. Right now I am having issues with manipulating strings in C++. I find Java much easier...but too slow. If all goes well I will post a video of that running as well sometime Friday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stuart Grimshaw said...

Did you ever make any progress on proximity detection with xbees?

I'm looking into using a couple of base stations and using them to triangulate against a 3rd module to get the distance that 3rd module has travelled.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Aaron M Cohen said...

I tried with a station finding one x-bee. The data was very inaccurate. I have not tried multiple xbee's triangulating one but it is on my list of things to do this summer. Currently my masters thesis has used up all my time. You would have to have the data compensate for the xbee antenna orientation changing. By flipping one of the xbees I was using I could get up to 100 point gain or loss.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home