Monday, September 24, 2007

Readings 3

"Designing Mindful Interaction: The Category of Performative Object"
by Kristina Niedderer

I am not very exposed to industrial design so I found parts of the article interesting. The cups might make some one do a specific task but they are not quite interactive, perhaps the term she uses performative is much better. I would not be as broad in the assumption that these objects are completely new. I just think they were not defined. I found that article extremely clinical in nature. I disagree that objects are not socially orientated. I think those designs are integrated into products but they are few and far between. Oddly I never heard the term mindfulness as an educator I guess that is a difference of Australia and the US. I do agree that a object can force a behavior by itself. Life would be very boring if we had to learn everything before using it. This idea of self-mindfulness has been proven by many a cognitive psychologist. I have one problem with the social cups. They do not guarantee social interaction. They only guarantee that people will up their cups together. I think the article provided some food for thought when designing an object.

"Good Design in the Digital Age"
by Richard Buchanan

Nota Bene: Not this article. In fact the design is quite nightmarish.
Onward...Short sweet and nothing too new. Good digital design must include the designing "user experience." I think that we must aware of other cultures and how they view and experience objects.

"The Art of Interaction: Interactivity, Performity, and Computers"
by David Z. Saltz

*response will be posted tonight*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home