Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Orientation Running in MAX/MSP

After a rather long two day battle with MAX/MSP, I got the orientation to work in MAX/MSP. It works fairly well; occasionally it has some issues with its 180 degree counter part but that can be worked out by zero counting or not allowing movement beyond a certain threshold. I will have pictures up tomorrow of the MAX/MSP program in use and hopefully a video in a weeks time. I now need to convert it to Processing and from there something else, C++ or Python (if I can find easy to use serial libraries). Either one I will have to relearn how to program the language. So for now I will stick to MAX and Processing. Next week is spring break so I will most likely be traveling, doing reading, and sightseeing. So more theory and concept to follow rather then technical material. I know many people have problems with the MAX serial object. Reading some examples from Tom Igoe's Making Things Talk I figured out a way to prevent some errors. MAX tends to easily get flooded with serial data and either locks up or ceases to function correctly. By having an IC on the other serial end (in my case an Arduino Mini) wait for a response from the computer before sending data MAX is fine with the data flow. I have yet to see it crash or lock up. I currently have the baud rate at 9600 but will start to speed up the connection to see how fast MAX can handle the data.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home